Hi! Welcome to my site. My name is Katherine and I will be your tour guide on your exciting adventure learning about sewing machines.
“Exciting?” you are asking yourself. Why, yes! Exciting! There is so much to know and so much to learn about sewing machines.
My goal is to help arm you with the knowledge that you need to choose the very best sewing machine for your needs.
Whether you are a beginner or an expert in the world of sewing, it is my hope that you will learn from my site so you can be an informed consumer. After all, knowledge is power.
I will give you some basic facts about sewing machines, review some of the top machines on the market and give you tips and pointers along the way. This site is not meant to teach you everything there is to know about sewing but it is meant to help you make the best choices when it comes to sewing machines.
If you are in rush, you can check out these top 10 best-selling sewing machines in 2014, you can also read below this page their features:
Top 10 Sewing Machines Available in the Market
1. Brother CS6000i – The Most Affordable Sewing Machine
I was a bit concerned when I saw how economical this machine is. After all, you know the old saying “You get what you pay for.” But, I should have known better because when you purchase Brother, you purchase an awesome product and that is just what this sewing machine is.
It’s an absolute dream! It’s nothing overly elaborate but it is a great choice for someone with moderate sewing experience looking to try their hand at some more involved sewing projects.
This is an excellent machine with a lower price tag perfect for someone looking for the perfect mixture of value and quality. It is the type of product that you have come to expect from a trusted brand like Brother.
As its name suggests it is chock full of features and is perfect for the novice seamstress because it is easy to use and inexpensive. It is not the top of line nor is it the bottom of the barrel so if you’re looking to try your hand at sewing but don’t want to spend and arm and a leg then this is a great choice for you.
- LCD Screen – touch screen controls
- Oversized table – plenty of room to work!
- Automatic threading – So much easier!
- Adjustable sewing speed – create great garments, quilts and more!
- Lit work area – Helps when working in the evening or on darker fabrics.
- And a whole lot more!
If you want to check out our full review click here.
2. SINGER 7258 Stylist – Best Suited for Experienced Sewers
100 stitches, 10 presser feet and a whole lot more! You will not be disappointed in this machine.
It sews beautifully, is quiet and will make your sewing projects easier and more fun!
This machine is best for people with a little bit more sewing experience. It is a great machine and is full of features and accessories that make it a dream to work with. Fancy stitches, multiple presser feet and a LED screen make this sewing machine a real winner.
You’ll be the envy of all of your friends with this awesome machine. Singer, another trusted and respected brand in the world of sewing machines does not disappoint with this product.
- 10 presser feet included – yes, 10!
- LED screen – fancy!
- Automatic Reverse – easy as pushing a button.
- And more!
Check the full review of Singer 7258
3. Brother XL2600I – Perfect for Beginners
As an avid sewer this machine is not necessarily for me. However I do think it is a great machine and that it certainly is worth considering for beginners. It’s a great place to start and we all have to start somewhere.
You should be aware of your needs and wants before purchasing, of course.
To be clear: It is basic, basic, basic! There is nothing wrong with that, however. This is a great sewing machine to learn with and you will be pleased with the results you will get as long as you’re looking for simple stitches and your projects are not too complicated.
It is perfect for a teenager or child learning to sew and, like I said, while it won’t do tons of fancy things it WILL do the job. If you are looking for a beginner’s machine then this is may be the way to go. The price is right and the Brother brand will not let you down.
Easy stitch selector – knob on the side
25 stitch options – not 100, but certainly enough!
Jam resistant bobbin – always helpful!
Here is a Full Review of this Machine
4. Brother LS2125i: The Everyday Sewing Machine Extradinare
The Brother LS2125i is designed for comfort and ease of use in mind. The sewing machine is lightweight intened for novice swerers who are looking for easy to follow directions and a machine that will handle all the small things. The lightweight size makes this sewing machine the perfect portable device.
The Brother LS2125i offers 10 built in stitches that will help novice sewers start projects without feeling overwhelm with too many stitching options. The compact sewing machine is portable and perfect for beginners who are taking classes.
The Brother LS2125i has a built in storage area, and a three available presser feet. This machine is perfect for light work such as hemming clothing and sprucing up some home decor. The machine uses the traditioanl foot pedal to control the sewing machine and the presser feet come with a easy changable snap design that allows the user to switch between different patterns. This machine comes with many different assecories that will allow for many hours of entertainment and learning.
- This machine is light and affordable and comes with tech support and a 25 year warranty
- The machine comes with 10 built in stitches which is perfect for novice sewers
- The machine comes with a variety of different accessories to ensure that the sewer has everything that they need.
- The machine has a built in storage area
- The machine offers an easy threader and a free arm to help with projects.
- This machine is not recommended for use in regions that are not supporting 120V AC
- There are many small parts that can become troublesome
Read Our Honest Review Here
5. Brother XR9500PRW: The Fashionista Machine
The Brother XR9500PRW sewing machine is a fashionista’s dream machine. This machine offers over 100 built in varieties of stitching that offers any variety of project stitch needed. The sewing machine also offers a unique sewing font feature for fabric monogramming.
The Brother XR9500PRW offers many numerous accessories to ensure that the sewer will have everything that they need to create works of art and fashion. This limited addition sewing machine offers everything that a fashion sewer will need to complete even the most outrageious and creative of projects. The machine comes with a large LCD screen that enables the sewer to know the length between stitches as well as many other valuable bits of information.
The Brother XR9500PRW is intended to withstand even the most extensive use and is ready for a variety of projects. The only thing that limits someone is their own creativity.
These sewing machines ranges from $160-$500 depending on the company that you purchase the machine from as well as the added accesories that you choose to include with your purchase.
- This sewing machine offers over 100 built in stiches that will offer the perfect stitch no matter the project. This includes 55 alphanumeric stitching options for monogramming.
- The sewing machine offers a storage area to keep all of the accessories that come with the machine.
- The machine offers a large table for large projects such as quilting.
- The machine is lightweight and easily portable for fashionistas who are always on the go.
- This sewing machine is not recommended for use in regions where 120V AC is not supported.
- Customers have reported issues with threading and bobbin features.
Read Our Honest Review Here
6. SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty: The Powerhouse Sewing Machine
The Singer 4423 Heavy Duty sewing machine is the powerhouse of sewing machines. This hardworking machine is built to withstand even the most extesive and rigourous of uses. The sewing machine is intended to last the test of time and be able to work on a variety of different projects.
The Singer 4423 Heavy Duty is built with a sturdy metal base that is able to withstand more rigerous use. The Singer 4423 offers easy to follow instructions and is intended for ease of use.
The Singer 4423 Heavy Duty sewing machine ranges from $120-$300 depending on the company that you purchase your sewing machine from. It is one of the most affordable sewing machines on the market. It is built to last and is able to withstand any project that you attempt to do.
- This sewing machine can stich over 1,100 stiches every minute which offers sewers the most professional feel with less time. The Singer 4423 sewing machine offers an automatic needle threader that allows for the sewer to save a lot of time and patience.
- The frame is made from a sturdy steel that allows for stability and durability.
- This machine offers an option for skip free sewing as well as 23 built in stiteches for a variety of different projects.
- The sewing machine is bulky and a bit heavy at times which makes portability difficult
Read Our Honest Review Here
7.Brother CS5055PRW – The Teen Sewing Machine
If there is one thing that teens are into its fashion. The Brother CS5055PRW is the perfect sewing machine for the potential fashionista in every teen. It offers many outsanding features that make it perfect for teens and for beginner sewers looking for a machine that is fun and easy to use.
This sewing machine is designed with beginners and teen sewers in mind and offers many simple and easy to follow instructions to help anyone get started. The LCD screen allows the sewer to be more informed about every stich that goes into their project as well as help them choose the correct setting.
The Brother sewing machines have long since put out a line of sewing machines that have always been regarded as some of the best sewing machines in the industry. Purchase a Brother CS5055PRW with an easy mind knowing that you are purchasing from a highly respectable company.
The Brother CS5055PRW offers a high end sewing machine at half the cost. The Brother CS5055PRW ranges from $120-$350 in cost depending on the store that the sewing machine is purchased from as well as the accesories that the buyer chooses to customize their machine with.
- The machine offers over 50 built in stitches that offer enough variety to suit any project
- The sewing machine can easily sew through fleece, elastic and various other materials with ease.
- This sewing machine comes with technical support and a 25 year warranty
- There have been previous technical issues with some models and their threading and bobbin areas.
- This sewing machine is intended for novice and younger sewers. Older sewers might not find as much enjoyment from these machines.
Read Our Honest Review Here
8. SINGER 9960 Quantum Stylist: The Easy and Simple Sewing Machine Choice
There is nothing people love more than encountering something that is simple and easy to use. The Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist is one of these such encounters. This sewing machine is designed for ease of use and offers numerous variations of settings so that no matter the level of expertise the sewer possesses they will always find that they are looking for in the Singer 9960 Quantum Stylist.
The unique set up of the Singer 9960 allows for accurate and precise stitching that allows even beginners to feel like they are accomplishing outstanding pieces of sewing art. The Singer 9960 offers an automatic threading system that allows for a quick and easy set up. The automatic threader takes care of both the top and bottom threads to help sewers complete projects more quickly as well as with ease.
The Singer comes with a variety of different accessories that contribute to the all-around ease of use of these sewing machines. One of these impressive features is their larger table platform. This allows for larger products such as quilts to be completed without such a hassle. The LCD display and free arm allow for a more controlled stitch.
These sewing machines range from $320-$700 depending on the company that you purchase your sewing machine from.
- This sewing machine has over 600 built in stiches that are sure to cover any sewing project the sewer wishes to participate in
- This sewing machine features an automatic needle threader and expertly placed bobbin system that ensures the buyer a quick and easy set up and start
- This sewing machine is not intended to be used in regions that do not support 110 volt sewing machines regardless if there is a converter used.
Read Our Honest Review Here
9. Brother HC1850 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
The Brother HC1850 is one of the most cutting edge sewing machines available on the market today. Coming from a long line of respectably and highly rated sewing machines the Brother HC1850 offers the most comprehensive and easy experience that can be enjoyed by beginner sewers as well as the more advanced sewers.
The Brother HC1850 comes with many amazing features that not only make life easier it also helps speed up some of the projects that you have been working on. One of the favorite features is that the sewing machine comes with an attachable area known as the table. This overlarge platform allows for larger projects to be conducted such as quilts.
One of the biggest selling points for the Brother HC1850 is that it allows you the flexibility that you want without having to sacrifice precision. The sewing machine even offers basic monogramming stitches to help personalize any piece of material. This includes over 53 alphanumerical characters. The LCD screen attached to the sewing machine is state of the art and allows sewers to really get an understanding of what they are accomplishing.
- This sewing machine comes with technical support as well as a 25 year warranty
- This sewing machine offers over 130 different built in stitches to keep even the most advanced sewers busy for hours. This feature also ensures that the sewer will always find the right stitch.
- The sewing machine is light weight and sturdy making transport easier on the sewer.
- There have been costumer complaints about the LCD screen not being large enough for certain people to see and read the instructions.
10. Brother Project Runway PC420PRW: More Than Fashion
The Brother Project Runway PC420PRW offers one of the most computeralized sewing experiences on the market today. This sewing machine is designed for tech savy indivuduals as well as indivuduals who are always in a hurry. The sewing machine offers many outsanding features such as their exceptional dual LED lighting systme. The Brother Project boasts impressive speeds of over 850 accurate stitches per minute as well as being constructed for a sturdy metal frame.
The Brother Project Runway offers over 294 independent built in stitches that offer the sewer creative freedom without completely overwhelming them. The Brother Project Runway also offers a stop option that allows the student the opportunity to sew without haivng to deal with the foot cleaner issue. The LCD display is one of the best displays available for sewing machines on the market and has a multi-lingual option so that the sewer knows exactly the right stitch and the right pattern every time.
The Brothers company is a prestigious company that has offered many high end sewing machines for the general public. The Brothers company has a strong repuation for providing some of the best products on the market today. You can feel safe purchasing a Brother Project Runway PC42OPRW knowing that they are purchasing from a company that has had many years of successful costumer service.
The Brother Project Runway PC42OPRW ranges from $350-$700 depending on the comapny that you purchase the sewing machine from as well as the additinoal accesories that a buyer chooses for their sewing machines.
- This sewing machine offers technical support and a 25 year warranty
- This sewing machine offers over 294 stitches at a speed of over 850 stiches per minute
4 Main Types of Sewing Machines
There are actually many types of sewing machines. However, in this article I will only mention the 4 main one that you should really know about:
1. Electric sewing machines
An electric sewing machine just what it sounds like… electric. It has a motor which you control with a foot pedal. They offer a range of speeds and you control the speed by how hard you press on the foot pedal. You control the size of the stitches with a dial that you turn.
2. Computerized sewing machines
Computerized sewing machines are programmed to create a variety of stitches. You operate these high-tech machines with a touchpad. If that isn’t cool enough they are also capable of memorizing your old work so that you can do it again with the touch of a button. Another cool feature is that you can actually download programs from your personal computer. With a computerized sewing machine the possibilities are really endless.
3. Overlocker machines
If you are looking for a professional appearance to your projects then an overlocker machine is probably for you. They trim while sewing in order to create a neat, professional look to your work. They also sew much faster than traditional machines.
4. Manual sewing machines
You’ve probably seen these before but they are not really used anymore. They are mostly antiques and are kept as décor or in museums. They are the “mothers” of the modern sewing machines and are operated by a hand wheel.
The Benefits of Buying a Sewing Machine
Sewing is becoming lost as the years go on and everyone buys their clothes and other textiles from stores that have them shipped over from Asia or India. It is sad to see that it is dying out and it doesn’t have to! If you have an interest in sewing then run with it. An imperfect, homemade baby blanket for instance is infinitely better than a “perfect” store bought one!
Buy a sewing machine. You won’t regret it. Use my reviews as a guide and speak with friends and relatives about their machines. Ask them what they love (and don’t love) about them. It is a great way to gain information and also to bond with other sewing enthusiasts. After all, sewing has deep roots a communal activity. Just think of the quilting circles of old.
Sewing is a great way to save money from “up-cycling” old clothes, sewing your own blankets, quilts and pillow covers or creating adorable baby clothes. An initial investment in a sewing machine will provide you the opportunity to save hundreds or even thousands of dollars in the long run. Not to mention, sewing gives you the opportunity to get your creative juices flowing and can be a very relaxing hobby.
And, to be clear, it is not a hobby just for women. Plenty of men love to sew too and getting your sons or grandsons involved in sewing early will encourage them to be creative, orderly and to follow instructions. It is a great practice for any young child.
Sewing seems to be somewhat of a dying art. Few young women sew anymore and the skills involved with sewing have not been passed down through the generations like they used to be. Sewing is a valuable skill, however. It saves money, encourages creativity and can be a great way for mothers and grandmothers to bond with the young women (or men) in their families.
I love to sew because it gives me a chance to do something lovingly for my family. Fixing my husband’s shirts or hemming my daughters’ pants is a way for me to show them that I care. It also helps me to save money and be creative. I love repurposing old clothes into something new. Whether you want to learn to sew out of necessity or as a hobby, please do try it out! I promise you will be hooked in no time.
I hope you have learned something here and that you will take away that knowledge and use it to purchase a sewing machine… whether it’s your first or your twenty first. Whether you hope to become a fashion designer or just want to mend your kids’ soccer uniforms, sewing is a useful skill and the more you practice the more confident you will become.
Choosing a sewing machine is like choosing a friend. You want it to be the right one because you two will be spending a lot of time together. With that said, keep value in mind because it’s not always the most expensive machine with all of the bells and whistles that is the best match for you and your needs.